Tuesday 18 December 2007

A Christmas message for the kidney care community

Seasons greetings to everyone reading this message. I hope you are looking forward to the festive season and that you get a break and rest over the holiday period. It’s a time to reflect and recharge for the year ahead.

I am sure we will all have many opportunities to improve kidney care in 2008 and you will have my support to help make your services world class for local people with kidney disease.

I have listened a lot in the last 12 months – I appreciate staff are under a lot of pressure, for many patients I understand that the experience is the outcome and I realise that we have a long way to go before we can put hand on heart and say our kidney care service is truly world class. I have no doubt we can get there – that’s why I took this job.

It’s been a roller coaster of a year for me. Standing down at President of the Renal Association to take on the National Clinical Director role was a very difficult decision. The support and advice I received from colleagues, my family, patients and carers had been marvellous. I am going to enjoy the break and will be back working for better kidney care and blogging with renewed enthusiasm on 2 January.

Best wishes to all.